Cupcake Shop opens in St Albans
By debbigg | Friday, July 15, 2011, 09:52
A new cupcake shop will open its doors to the public in St Albans on Saturday, 16th July 2011. Dixie's Cupcakery is the first of its kind in St Albans and will introduce the cupcake craze, which is all the rage in the US and London to the city.
Owner of Dixie's Cupcakery, Luisa Zissman (left) with shop assistant, Holly (right).
Cupcakes from Dixie's Cupcakery, St Albans.
Cupcake display in Dixie's Cupcakery, St Albans.
The business is the brainchild of 24 year-old Luisa Zissman, who gained her inspiration from her travels within the States. There, Luisa visited Sprinkles LA & Magnolia Bakery NY, which have both made big business out of cupcakes, selling up to 4,000 cupcakes a day. With a passion for making cakes, as well as the experience of another successful retail set-up business behind her, Luisa's business idea for a cupcake takeaway shop took shape. And the name was an obvious choice – Dixie is the name of Luisa's one year-old daughter.
The shop is located in Market Place, St Albans, next to Jack Wills, and within shouting distance of several other successful food retailers. Speaking about why she choose St Albans for her first branch of the business, Luisa said: "I think St Albans is the perfect location for this kind of business, there is nothing like it around here and St Albans is such as fast paced cosmopolitan city I definitely feel something like this has been missing".
Despite having ambitious plans for the business to grow, St Albans is very much a focal point for the business, with local staff and local ingredients sourced from ethical producers.
But as the old saying goes, the proof is in the pudding. So having had a pre-opening preview of the cupcakes on offer at Dixie's Cupcakery, these are the tasting notes myself and tasting colleagues made:
- Toffee Banoffee – "Authentic banoffee taste – the sponge had banana inside, which kept it really moist and tasty, caramel flavoured buttercream icing with chocolate shavings – delicious balance"
- Zesty Lemon – "Tasty, sparkly, deliciously zingy lemony twang - yummy!"
- Carrot Cake - "An incredibly delicate and well balanced sponge, comprising of all the classic carrot cake spices, flavours and smells. The icing on the top was sweeter than heavens honey and took the overall cake eating experience to new dimensions."
- Cupcake '99 – "Lovely cake, I shall be back for more!"
- Red Velvet – "I give it 9 out of 10. It looses a point for the icing heart – would prefer it to be made from chocolate!"
- Gooey Chocolate - "Sponge, very light and fluffy. Icing, very rich. The perfect balance. Very tasty!"
"Cupcakes are a wonderful treat that every one of all ages can enjoy" says Luisa "We all know cupcakes are one of the hottest treats around in America and London. Our goal is to put St Albans on the cupcake map with our unique and stylish approach"
As well as being able to pop in and pick up a treat, the new shop will offer cupcakes to order for corporate events, birthdays, weddings and baby showers.
Presentation is key to the brand, with fancy packaging, and retro-style uniforms, designed by Viv Whelan, a finalist from the popular TV show, Project Catwalk.
Dixie's Cupcakery is offering something new to the people of St Albans, and as far as I'm concerned it looks and tastes good. If you make a visit, please share what you think below: