Profile image for Rodders24

Help! Which are the nicest areas to live in St. Albans?

By Rodders24 at 14:45 on 20/03/10

Re-post           

• Profile image for Rodders24

Hello. My wife and I are planning to move to St. Albans in June. We've visited twice and think it's great. But which are the nicest areas of the town to live in? We're hoping to rent a two bedroom house, ideally within 20-25 minutes walking distance of the Thameslink station. And are there any areas that we should avoid?
    Also, is the commute into London in the mornings always really busy? Is it possible to get a seat at rush hour (we'll be travelling to Farringdon)?
    Any help on these points very much appreciated!! Thank you.

By Rodders24 at 14:45 on 20/03/10

• Profile image for mazbailey

Hi, you may be pushed for a seat! unless you go for the semi-fast or he slow train (40 mins though).  If you are renting then go for Bernards Heath or Old London Road/Conservation area - I think these are the nicest places to live, they are expensive but probably more reasonable for rental.

By mazbailey at 18:06 on 20/03/10

Thanks very much Maz - very helpful. Can't wait to move.

By Rodders24 at 18:13 on 21/03/10

• Profile image for theGeneral1

No chance of a seat, pot luck of a train!

By theGeneral1 at 11:27 on 24/03/10

Yeah I get FCC every day already. Evil company. Er...they can only improve?

By Rodders24 at 21:49 on 24/03/10

• Profile image for grace85

My boyfriend and I currently rent in Harpenden but really want to buy a house in the next couple of months in St. Albans.  We want a two to three bedroom house with a garden.  You mentioned the best places to rent but what are the best areas to buy in.  What areas should we definitely avoid? 

We want somewhere quite safe (and not too expensive!), we've had some bad experiences living in London in the past which have made us wary of moving somewhere we don't know really well. 
    Any information would be appreciated!

By grace85 at 11:12 on 13/05/10

• Profile image for rajesv

Hi grace, Do you need to be close to the city station? My girlfriend has just stopped commuting to London (after 10 years) so we may be moving away from a house that could meet your requirements. It's not on the market yet but let me know if you'd like to know more!

By rajesv at 12:49 on 18/05/10

• Profile image for moovingbees

Any advice on renting in St Albans?
    We dont have a car and will commute to London regularly. Teen hoping to attend St Albans College in Sep 2013. Trying to decide if we should move to St Albans itself or outskirts towards London. Help!!!

By moovingbees at 23:33 on 15/02/13

Join the Discussion

max 4000 characters

Local Jobs

Search for...

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min price is bigger than Max price

Min rent is bigger than Max rent